The Lower Illinois River is the home of the Oklahoma State Record for Striped Bass 47.5 lbs 6-21-11. Here are some tips for catching a big one.
Where: Approx. 8 miles of river from Tenkiller Lake Dam to Arkansas River
Boat Access points:
• Webbers Fall on Arkansas River - Free
• Gore Landing $2.00
• Other access points for wade fishing
• Ex. Dam, Watts Recreation Area (Barbless catch and release), Marval Resort
Current River Conditions:Normal
• Live Shad or live Trout
• Lures: Long shallow diving
Best Time to Fish
• Heat of the Summer
• Cold of the Winter
• Both when current is flowing from the dam
• Above Gore Landing: Small boat
• Below Gore Landing: Any size boat
• When water is running: 16 ft aluminum flat bottom, 25 hp short shaft motor,
transom mounted hand control trolling motor, bait tank.
• When water is not running: Small 10 foot 2-Man Boat.
• Be aware of gravel bars, stumps, rocks,etc
Summer Fishing When Water is Running
• Launch at Gore Landing.
• Method: Throw live shad along bank while drifting with current.
• Equipment: Stiff rod with round baitcast, big game line.
Summer Fishing When No Water is Running
• 2-man boat launched at Marval – requires boat pass.
• Launching above or below Marval requires some dragging to go up the entire river
• Fish Deep holes, in or below rapids, or riffles
• Can Fish Trout heads or gut a trout and simulate a trout fishing in the current
Have fun on this tricky but incredible fun place to fish this summer! Hope you catch a huge Striped Bass!